Tuesday, January 7, 2014

How I Keep My Skin Clear

Whether it be PCOS, Insulin Resistance, Cushing's Syndrome, Hypothyroid, or any other one of the number of conditions that could be considered hormonal or metabolic, there's almost always a symptom/side effect of acne. Whenever there's a hormonal imbalance your body acts up, and a lot of times results in your skin getting messed up. I've gotten a few messages on Facebook from people who read this blog, asking how I keep my skin clear (or if it isn't, how I cover it up.) and I figured I'd do a post about it.

First of all, I'd like to point out my acne does still flare up sometimes. When I was younger, and before I lost a lot of weight, it was absolutely horrific. I had tried proactive and lots of different over the counter "acne treatment systems" and different perscription medications (Solodyn I think was one of them? and Doxycycline.) I was about to be put on the new version of Accutane or whatever it's called, though my mom was really against it because of how strong it is/what damage it apparently can do to your body. I haven't researched it much though, because she wouldn't have let me on it when I was younger in the first place so there wasn't much of a point.

However now it thankfully only flares up once a month (you can guess when that is... ha.) and is pretty much controlled by the medications I'm on, in combination with how I take care of my skin.



Sorry the lighting wasn't that great.. I decided to take the picture right after I got out of the shower so you could see my skin before I loaded it down with crap, but I didn't take into account the fact that it's almost midnight, and the lighting in my house no matter what room we're in is absolutely horrible.

Anywho, bottom line is most anything you can see on my face that could be considered a zit or anything is most likely a scar from when I had the worst cystic acne of my life when I was 15. 

(pictured here...) 
 (If you didn't guess it already, that's me on the right/top.. with makeup. There are 0 pictures of me without makeup trying to cover it.. it was so much worse with the makeup off, I promise.)

A lot of people assume I still have it and cover it with makeup. Which, when I do have flare ups, I cover it really well with makeup. I've had about seven years of wearing makeup on a regular basis to practice.. However, generally it's better to take care of the problem as opposed to masking it so that's what I focused on doing. To this day I still don't really wear makeup unless I'm going out, which doesn't happen often, so it gives my skin a chance to rest. But for those of you asking, this is how I take care of my acne now!


My skin's really sensitive. I blush super easily for no reason at all and get sun burnt super easily. Even if I'm not hot, but I'm in the direct light from a lamp or something, my skin gets all red and blotchy. It's annoying, but I have to treat my skin like it's tissue paper. My skin also used to be really oily, but it's dried out over the years so again, I have to treat it as such.

I do still exfoliate almost every day with St. Ives Blemish control Apricot Scrub. I use it in the morning & at night. (Especially on days I wear makeup, I use it after using Neutrogena Makeup Removing Wipes. It helps get the rest of it out of my skin.) It's pretty gentle, so it isn't really harsh on my skin. If I'm breaking out, I'll sometimes use a Neutrogena Acne Control face wash, but I don't have one at the moment because I used the last of my last one about a month ago. In the shower I do use this little rubber thing that helps get into my pores. I don't even know what it's called? It came with some 360 face wash I got like a few years ago. I didn't really like the face wash, but I loved the little tool it came with.

After washing my face, immediatley I follow with my Cetaphil lotion. It's pretty light, so in the winter I usually will put it on twice when my skin's extra dry. (I mean like, once, let it absorb into my face, then another layer, twice a day. Equaling four times a day, if that makes sense.) But it doesn't make me break out, and most lotions always have. So, that's always a plus. Not to mention the fact that the bottle lasts forever! I also use chapstick. I used to have a problem with breaking out around my mouth too, but I stopped using the lip balm I was using and switched to another one and I haven't had any problems. (I'd give you the name, but it's just some with my Dentist office's name on it? I doubt they make their own, they probably just enlisted someone and got their phone number and what not printed on it, but it has no brand name unfortunatley.)

As far as prescriptions go - Epiduo is the only prescription I have for my acne now, as opposed to the 2 creams and 2 medications and what not I was on at the same time a few years back. You're only supposed to put it on your break outs, but generally I'll put it on the places I know I break out regularly, like my cheeks and chin. I use it preventatively, which to be fair I really probably shouldn't, but I do. Again, use it sparingly though. Thin layers. I've only had to get my prescription filled two or three times and I've had it for about 18 months now.

Then, I'm also on Spironolactone (Generic version of Aldactone.) This is a mild diuretic and I was put on it originally to help with my blood pressure and my high androgen level's back in early 2011 before I lost 100lbs. My blood pressure is perfectly fine now, I've just stayed on a low dose of it to help with the hormone levels and for the diuretic purposes, but it helps with my acne so that's a plus!

Last but not least is my birth control. I'm on Sprintec. I've switched birth controls a lot over the past few years, but they've all helped my acne except one that I can't remember the name of, which made it worse. again, I'm on it to help with the PCOS, which one of the side effects of is acne.. and this helps counter it.

With makeup, most of the products I use on my face are water based. I use Revlon, Covergirl, and Maybeline products for the most part. I've never had any issues with makeup making me break out, thankfully. But I won't go into specifics with those..

Obviously, I try not to touch my face too much, and I try to keep my hair out of my face when I can (but that doesn't always happen.) and... That's about it!

I hope that helped some of you who've been asking, or anyone who would have ended up asking. :) I hope you're all having a great day, and I shall talk to you all soon. <3

-Ashley

No comments:

Post a Comment